Asserbo ruin 1
Facts

Absalon's gift swallowed by sand

By

In 1163, Bishop Absalon donated Asserbo to an abbey for monks of the Carthusian order. Later, it passed to the Cistercian order and various noble families until it wound up in the hands of the Crown in 1560. In the beginning of the 18th century, Asserbo was deserted…

Show more

Contribute to Asserbo

Have you visited / Want to visit? Contribute to this place Add to route
Selected entry

Drifting dunes plague local farmers

Time / Periode 1163
0 comments 0 recommendations

As the sand continued to blow in from the sea, it became increasingly difficult to farm the land, until finally it was a lost cause. No crops would grow. The farmers of Torup village were forced to leave their homes. By 1595, only six farms remained and then even these were swallowed up by the sand, which also covered Asserbo Castle's courtyard and filled the moat. Tibirke Church almost sanded up, too. Wattle fencing was erected in the early 18th century to try to stop the sand, and then forests were planted in around 1800. The crippled pine trees in the 'enchanted forest' show just how hard it was for the trees to take root.

View all stories

Comments to the story (0)

Contribute to Asserbo

Contribute with a story about this place?

Contribute with one or more pictures

Contribute with videos

Contribute with links

Stories (1)

Drifting dunes plague local farmers

As the sand continued to blow in from the sea, it became increasingly difficult to farm the land,…

Images (5)