Red lighthouse and white churches
The lighthouse on Bovbjerg Cliff is a landmark of the west coast of Jutland. Sailors are unlikely to mistake it for the whitewashed churches in Ferring and Trans as the red lighthouse is 41 metres above sea level. Dating from 1877, the 26-metres tall lighthouse was the…
The cradle of coastal security
King Frederik VI visited Bovbjerg after the sea flooded Agger Point in 1825. A memorial pillar marks the royal visit. Due to cliff erosion, the memorial had to be moved twice in the following decades. Farming land was also being lost, so in 1875 the Department of Hydraulic Engineering built the first groynes along the west coast of Jutland. Groynes were then also built off Agger, Thyborøn and the rest of the west coast to combat erosion. In the 1970s, it was discovered that pumping sand onto the beach was the best form of sea defence. Sand feeding" has been used ever since to protect the west coast of Jutland. "
Contribute to Bovbjerg Lighthouse
Contribute with a story about this place?
Contribute with one or more pictures
Contribute with videos
Contribute with links