Nursing home at the abbey
In Medieval times, Dueholm Abbey, west of Nykøbing Mors, was inhabited by members of the Order of St. John, also known as the Knights Hospitaller. It was established at the initiative of Bishop Svend of Børglum circa 1370 and the name 'holm' derives from…
Mill, manor and museum
Medieval monasteries were decidedly more than retreats for prayer and other religious practices. An abbey such as Dueholm was also the centre of a large, sprawling feudal estate in the region. This estate included a watermill that milled grain from the monastic estate and beyond. What is known today as Dueholm Abbey is in fact only the abbey's old mill house from 1475, which was located close to where the river ran out into the fjord. When the entire abbey itself was torn down in the 1600s, the mill house was turned into the main building for the manor. In 1909, the friars' mill house changed function again, to serve as a museum of local heritage.
Contribute to Dueholm Abbey
Contribute with a story about this place?
Contribute with one or more pictures
Contribute with videos
Contribute with links