Ebeltoft Rådhus
Facts

Dolls' house by mistake

By

Ebeltoft Town Hall is located on the town square where the old streets of Adelsgade, Juulsbakke/Nedergade and Overgade meet. The town hall was built in 1789 on almost the same site as the first town hall from 1576. Originally it had white-washed walls in the Classicist…

Show more

Contribute to Ebeltoft Town Hall

Have you visited / Want to visit? Contribute to this place Add to route
Selected entry

The torture of Maren Nielsdatter

Listen to the story
Time / Periode 1600 1909
0 comments 0 recommendations

" The cellars under the town hall contained the town gaol. In the 17th century a number of the townswomen were kept in this dungeon and even tortured for alleged witchcraft or colluding with the Devil himself. In 1686, the executioner from Aarhus was summoned to administer torture to the alleged witch Maren Nielsdatter. Afterwards he diligently reported that Maren had been tortured "twice with two leg screws and one to the finger and naught more or otherwise, yet on two occasions she confessed to naught". Later she confessed before the town council. Prisoners were often kept in chains and with their hands bound; but in the history of the gaol, several prisoners still managed to dig their way out or pick the locks. "

View all stories

Comments to the story (0)

Contribute to Ebeltoft Town Hall

Contribute with a story about this place?

Contribute with one or more pictures

Contribute with videos

Contribute with links

Stories (1)

The torture of Maren Nielsdatter

" The cellars under the town hall contained the town gaol. In the 17th century a number of the …

Images (3)