The town on Bersodde
Fredericia, together with Copenhagen's Christianshavn neighbourhood, are the country's only two complete Renaissance developments. Fredericia was built by royal decree in 1650 as a military fortress on the Bersodde peninsula. The location was chosen for…
The Battle of Fredericia
On 24 August 1657, Sweden's King Carl X Gustav found himself staring down the barrel of Fredericia's newly built military defences. The enormous ramparts surprised him, but he ordered his armies to attack. It turned out that the moats closest to the Little Belt had not been finished and were dry. The Swedes were eventually beaten back, but instead the 8,000 soldiers plundered the surrounding villages. On 24 October, 5 o'clock in the morning, the Swedes began an all out assault. General Wrangel ordered his cavalry to outflank the ramparts by riding out to sea. In less than two hours the town had been captured, and the pillage, rape and torchings began. The Swedes left the town after a year and a half, but it wasn't until 1675 that Fredericia was itself again and began to take on its modern appearance.
Contribute to Fredericia
Contribute with a story about this place?
Contribute with one or more pictures
Contribute with videos
Contribute with links