Denmark's only concentration camp
Frøslev Camp was a POW camp from August 1944 until May 1945 for Danes arrested by the Germans. After the liberation, its name was changed to Fårhus Camp. From 1949, the Danish authorities used it as a POW camp for traitors. Then in 1949 the army took over. It was…
Saved by the concentration camp
When the German occupying forces took power in Denmark in August 1943, the death penalty and deportation to concentration camps became standard punishments for saboteurs. The Danish authorities offered to build a POW camp to prevent deportation. It was to be located in Denmark, managed by Danes and run according to Danish catering standards. The Germans agreed. On 13 August 1944, Frøslev was ready to receive its first prisoners, who were transferred from Horserød Camp. A total of 12,000 Danes were detained at the new Camp until the liberation in May 1945. The Germans deported 1,600 to German concentration camps, where about 220 died. So the new camp saved the lives of many who would otherwise have perished under the miserable conditions at the German camps.
Contribute to Frøslev Camp
Contribute with a story about this place?
Contribute with one or more pictures
Contribute with videos
Contribute with links