Ammunitionsbunker.
Facts

Munitions stores in the beechwoods

By

The Fylleledet munitions stores are located in an idyllic beechwood forest on the western outskirts of Frederikshavn. Parts of the stores were set up by the German occupational forces in 1940 and taken over by the Danish military in 1945. Initially this was a depot for …

Show more

Contribute to Fylleledet

Have you visited / Want to visit? Contribute to this place Add to route
Selected entry

Leaded timber

Time / Periode 1945 2004
0 comments 0 recommendations

Fylleledet munitions store is surrounded by 16 hectares of beechwood forest. At one stage, after the Danish military took over the stores, tracts of the forest had to be felled, and the forest warden assigned responsibility for this sold a job lot of the resulting timber to a sawmill. However, it was soon returned by a very dissatisfied sawmill owner. The sawteeth cracked like glass when the first trunks were sent through the circular saw, and on closer inspection, the timber was found to be full of bullets. The bullets dated back in part to the wartime occupation when German officers had a pavilion with a shooting range in the middle of the forest, but, also, after the stores were acquired by Denmark, various types of firearms ammunition had been tested in the area.

View all stories

Comments to the story (0)

Contribute to Fylleledet

Contribute with a story about this place?

Contribute with one or more pictures

Contribute with videos

Contribute with links

Stories (1)

Leaded timber

Fylleledet munitions store is surrounded by 16 hectares of beechwood forest. At one stage, after the…

Images (3)