Denmark's southernmost church
Gedser Church was consecrated on Palm Sunday in 1915. It was the first church on Gedser Peninsula. Very few people lived there until the railway and harbour were built in 1886. After 1886, though, a community began to grow. When the Gedser-Warnemünde ferry route was…
One brick from the brink
Legend has it that a flood will wash the town and church into the sea as soon as it is finished. For that reason, a brick is missing somewhere on the church. Only the master bricklayer knew which one was missing. And he took the secret with him to his grave. Brick or not, the church is still standing and you can safely go in. Inside, the beautiful vaulted wooden ceiling resembles a boat more than anything. This was to reflect that Gedser is a harbour and ferry town. Architect Peder Vilhelm Jensen-Klint designed the church, and he also designed a large part of the furnishings, including the pulpit, granite font and the seven-armed candelabra on the altar. He also recommended that Elof Riseby created the murals near the choir stalls, in 1924.
Contribute to Gedser Church
Contribute with a story about this place?
Contribute with one or more pictures
Contribute with videos
Contribute with links