Cannon's last resting place
Guldager Station is on the Esbjerg-Skjern Railway Line. It opened in 1874 as part of the Lunderskov-Esbjerg-Varde. The railway station was designed by Thomas Arboe in red brick with a slate roof. It is strictly symmetrical both seen from the road and from the track. A …
In July 1944, the German coastal defences began building a cannon position at Blåvand, north of Esbjerg. It was part of Jutland's anti-invasion defences. The main weapons were to be two armoured battleship turrets, each with two 38 cm ship's cannons. As it happened, Denmark was liberated in 1945 before the artillery position was completed. The cannon barrels, weighing 110 tons each, never made it further than a storage yard near a siding one kilometre from Guldager Station. They had stranded there because they were too heavy for the railway bridge across Varde River. One of the cannons was sent by train to the Royal Danish Arsenal Museum in Copenhagen in 1947. It is now on display at Museumscenter Hanstholm. The others were scrapped at Guldager Station.
Contribute to Guldager Station
Contribute with a story about this place?
Contribute with one or more pictures
Contribute with videos
Contribute with links
In July 1944, the German coastal defences began building a cannon position at Blåvand, north of…