Halskov Fyr, Fyrstation
Facts

Denmark's last open coal-brazier lighthouse

By

Halsskov Lighthouse was built by the Danish Postal Service in 1727 to help get the post safely across the Great Belt. The first beacon on the site was probably a vippefyr" - a huge tripod that levered an iron brazier of glowing coals up into the darkness. That was…

Show more

Contribute to Halsskov Lighthouse

Have you visited / Want to visit? Contribute to this place Add to route
Selected entry

Retired shipmaster takes over the lighthouse

Time / Periode 1800
0 comments 1 recommendations

The lighthouse keeper's quarters at Lygtebakken in Halsskov with the coal brazier in the back yard, was sold by the state in 1957 to a private owner. Two years later, it was listed as the only remaining open coal brazier in Denmark. It remained in use until 1904, as it was easiest to see in hazy weather. It is on private land that is no longer open to the general public. The land and keeper's quarters have since been taken over by a retired shipmaster. He used the brazier for navigating in his Great Belt ferry days. Now, he can look out of his lighthouse window and see the ships and the new Great Belt Bridge.

View all stories

Comments to the story (0)

Contribute to Halsskov Lighthouse

Contribute with a story about this place?

Contribute with one or more pictures

Contribute with videos

Contribute with links

Stories (1)

Retired shipmaster takes over the lighthouse

The lighthouse keeper's quarters at Lygtebakken in Halsskov with the coal brazier in the back …

Images (2)

Links (1)