Skitse over batteriet, 1941
Facts

German fortress in Denmark

By

The German Wehrmacht started building the large defence works at Hanstholm in North Jutland in November 1940. Besides four large cannons, the installation came to comprise additional cannon batteries. It converted the small fishing hamlet of Hanstholm into a veritable …

Show more

Contribute to Hanstholm fortifications

Have you visited / Want to visit? Contribute to this place Add to route
Selected entry

600 Germans and a battery of cannons

Time / Periode 1940 1945
0 comments 1 recommendations

The main armaments at the Hanstholm fortifications consisted of the four 38-centimetre cannons deployed to protect passage through the German minefields in the Skagerak. The cannons were identical to those mounted on the German warships Bismarck and Tirpitz. With a firing capacity for 600 kg grenades at a range of 55 kilometres, the Hanstholm cannons were installed inside huge, 650-ton armoured towers contained in four concrete bunkers of 3,000 square metres each. The fortifications were expansive, with barracks, workshops and many other buildings to support the battery. Besides the four large cannons, there were other cannon positions and concrete ammunition depots. All of these were connected by a railway. The cannon battery was manned by 600 Germans.

View all stories

Comments to the story (0)

Contribute to Hanstholm fortifications

Contribute with a story about this place?

Contribute with one or more pictures

Contribute with videos

Contribute with links

Stories (1)

600 Germans and a battery of cannons

The main armaments at the Hanstholm fortifications consisted of the four 38-centimetre cannons…

Images (3)