On the edge
A narrow dam dating back to the 1500s is all that separates Hejlsminde Bay from Hejls Cove. The town of Hejlsminde spread here from 1843 onwards and was the spot from which bricks and grain were shipped off. Fishing was also important and there were inns on both sides …
A vulnerable spot
War and bad weather have often threatened Hejlsminde. In the 1600s, the dam was destroyed by the Swedes, and in 1706 a flood breached it and made the fresh fishing water salty again. The flood in 1872 destroyed nine houses to the north, four to the south of the cove entrance and left 65 people homeless. The situation didn't improve when the farming crisis in the 1870s ruined grain exports. But the town rose to its feet once more with help from outside and the locals. Jeppe Lauridsen in particular was a driving force. He created a chicory-drying business, trade, lime kiln and brickworks and revived the townsfolk's spirits and turnover. The railway from Kolding reinforced this development. There was no stopping Lauridsen, who built Hejlsminde Badehotel, a seaside hotel beside the station, and opened the town to tourists, who are still very welcome today. The reunification in 1920 once more united the formerly divided town. To symbolise this, a bridge was built spanning the mouth of the cove in 1923.
Contribute to Hejlsminde town
Contribute with a story about this place?
Contribute with one or more pictures
Contribute with videos
Contribute with links