Hjultorvet
Facts

Building flagged down

By

Viborg is an old civil servants' town with many public-sector institutions. The large administration building at Hjultorvet 9 was built in 1868 for a credit institution. The royal Danish Heath Society took over the property in 1906. Until 1979, this was the war…

Show more

Contribute to Hjultorvet

Have you visited / Want to visit? Contribute to this place Add to route
Selected entry

Silver tongue gives the Germans a licking

Time / Periode 1868
0 comments 0 recommendations

It was 9 April 1940 in the morning and the German troops rolled across the border to Denmark. By lunchtime, a motorised vanguard had reached Viborg, where a platoon halted at Hjultorvet. The Commandant saw the Heath Society's head office and immediately concluded that the imposing building must be the town hall. He dispatched his orderly to hoist the swastika up the society's flagpole. Then he demanded that the building was turned over to the German forces. The society's director had to use all his negotiating skills to talk the German forces into vacating the premises. And to make sure the Germans didn't use the flagpole again, the director had it taken down. It wasn't replaced until May 1945.

View all stories

Comments to the story (0)

Contribute to Hjultorvet

Contribute with a story about this place?

Contribute with one or more pictures

Contribute with videos

Contribute with links

Stories (1)

Silver tongue gives the Germans a licking

It was 9 April 1940 in the morning and the German troops rolled across the border to Denmark. By…

Images (1)