The Benedictine nuns of North Jutland
In the Middle Ages, North Jutland was home to a Benedictine convent established in around 1175 by Bishop Tyge of Børglum. At that time, Øland was an island in the Limfjord channel. The convent's Medieval name was hence Insula, Latin for island. After the…
A typical North Jutland Benedictine convent
The Insula or Ø Convent was one of 11 Benedictine convents founded in North Jutland in the 1100s and 1200s. The order had only six convents in the rest of Medieval Denmark. It is not known why the Benedictines favoured this remote part of Denmark, but it was not a passing phenomenon. The majority of convents survived up to the Reformation of 1536, but by then, the Insula convent had only 3 nuns left. The rest had fled Bishop of Børglum Stygge Krumpen's pursuit – that is, of the convent's estate. The estate had partly been bestowed on the convent on its founding by Bishop Tyge, and partly brought as a kind of dowry by the nuns from their noble families.
Contribute to Insula Convent (Oksholm)
Contribute with a story about this place?
Contribute with one or more pictures
Contribute with videos
Contribute with links