A palace for destitute girls
" Jægerspris Palace is cited in 1318 as a royal residence. At that time it was called Abrahamstrup; and not until 1677 was it known as Jægerspris. In 1773, the palace was given to Crown Prince Frederik, who took an interest in history. He ordered the excavation…
Danish park perfected by Norwegian stone
Julianehøj was originally a passage grave, excavated in 1776 by Crown Prince Frederik. The interior of the grave chamber contained flint axes and daggers from the late Stone Age. Since at the time of excavation a memorial park was under construction on the site, the grave was converted into a monument to the Crown Prince's mother, Juliane. The conversion was led by the sculptor Johannes Wiedewelt. The original entrance was sealed in favour of a new door. In addition, seven round memorial statues in marble were erected, bearing the names of former pagan kings. In 1782, yet another stone was added: an original Norwegian runic stone from Telemark to perfect the royal folly.
Comments to the story (1)
Contribute to Jægerspris Palace and Wiedevelt's …
Contribute with a story about this place?
Contribute with one or more pictures
Contribute with videos
Contribute with links