Lord of the manor's passage grave
Klekkendehøj on the island of Møn is a twin passage grave containing two 5,200-year-old tombs from the Stone Age. In circa 1798, the chambers were opened and excavated by the lord of Marienborg Manor, Pierre Antoine Gérard Bosc de la Calmette, and his butler. It…
Pastor Paludan's warriors
The excavation of Klekkedehøj barrow is described in 1815 by Pastor Johan Pauldan whose source was 'Berg the butler' who had done the donkey work in the barrow. The shafts of the spades had been shortened for the cramped conditions. The stench had driven the labourers to climb out from the grotto every once in a while for fresh air". The investigations and report are thorough for their time. Berg the butler had excavated horizontal layers and in so doing remarked that the flint daggers dating 1,000 years later were on top, while the flint axes (from the earliest users of the grave) were at the bottom. Pastor Paludan had his own lurid interpretation of this: at the bottom was a chief and his people, while the top layer of bodies were sacrificed warriors, whose hearts had been gouged out with the daggers. Today, Berg's observations are regarded as the more probable. "
Contribute to Klekkendehøj
Contribute with a story about this place?
Contribute with one or more pictures
Contribute with videos
Contribute with links
The excavation of Klekkedehøj barrow is described in 1815 by Pastor Johan Pauldan whose source was…