Købmagergade 50
Facts

The first modern commercial property

By

The Royal Danish Porcelain Manufactory, at No. 50 Købmagergade, was purchased by the wholesaler G.A. Falck in 1868. In the 1880s, he realised that the manufactory would have to move out of the city, since its central location could be used more profitably for…

Show more

Contribute to Købmagergade 50

Have you visited / Want to visit? Contribute to this place Add to route
Selected entry

City turned over to shopping

Time / Periode 1886
0 comments 1 recommendations

The construction of the premises on No. 50 Købmagergade was a new departure in Danish urbanisation, since it was the first property purpose-built for commercial leasing. Until then, home and shop had been one and the same for tradesmen, artisans and their employees. The late 1800s saw the evolution of functionally distinct industrial, working class and residential districts around the inner-city. Meanwhile, property investors were converting the parts of inner Copenhagen that had most footfall into a commercial centre, where flats were to give way to the retail and service industries. Banks and insurance companies moved into the area around Holmens Kanal, home to the Danish central bank and stock exchange, while retailers vied for an attractive location in the central precincts of Strøget, Kongens Nytorv and Købmagergade.

View all stories

Comments to the story (0)

Contribute to Købmagergade 50

Contribute with a story about this place?

Contribute with one or more pictures

Contribute with videos

Contribute with links

Stories (1)

City turned over to shopping

The construction of the premises on No. 50 Købmagergade was a new departure in Danish…

Images (2)