Market town church in Køge
Saint Nicholas Church in the heart of Køge is a late Gothic brick church from about 1400. The church is named after Saint Nicholas, the patron saint of travellers. It is also called Køge Church and closely resembles many market town churches around the Baltic Sea. …
Witches try a wee bit of magic
Saint Nicholas Church got a new font in 1613 thanks to a rather dramatic story. In 1612, the merchant's house on the corner of Køge Square and Nørregade was haunted by magic. It appeared that several of the town's women were practising magic. One was a woman called Mette Banghors. She admitted that she and her friend, Johanne Thommes, had conjured up the devil in the form of a rat. They had also enticed a poor lame servant girl called Kirsten Lauridsdatter to wee in the church font. The witches had promised her she would be cured and would get ten feet of homespun cloth if she did as they asked. During the subsequent interrogations, the two friends named at least ten accomplices – women who were also burned at the stake. One of them was Kirsten the cripple. The sullied font is now housed at Køge Museum and stands in the Chapel of our Lady.
Contribute to Køge, Saint Nicholas Church
Contribute with a story about this place?
Contribute with one or more pictures
Contribute with videos
Contribute with links