Facts

Jutland's border castle

By

For centuries, Koldinghus was a border castle between the kingdoms of Denmark and Schleswig. It was used frequently by Danish kings. King Christoffer of Bavaria built the west wing and the castle's northern section in 1447. Later, in 1549-54 under King Christian…

Show more

Contribute to Koldinghus

Have you visited / Want to visit? Contribute to this place Add to route
Selected entry

Burned-down castle resurrected as masterpiece

Listen to the story
Time / Periode 1447 1598
0 comments 1 recommendations

Magnificent Koldinghus served as a barracks for Spanish auxiliary troops during the Napoleonic wars. The soldiers' ravaging sealed its fate, though, when Koldinghus burned down in 1808. For many years it stood in ruins but was then gradually rebuilt at the end of the 19th century and in 1931-35. Architect Viggo Norn covered the church wing and rebuilt the huge tower in the last phase of its resurrection. It has housed a museum since 1892. At the beginning of the 1970s, architects Inger and Johannes Exner devised a radical plan for restoring the castle. After some changes, the project was carried out in 1972-92. The result pays every consideration to the tales the old walls can tell. The architects have left the testimony of changing eras exposed. All the additions stand out with new and old in contrast. The restoration work has won international recognition.

View all stories

Comments to the story (0)

Contribute to Koldinghus

Contribute with a story about this place?

Contribute with one or more pictures

Contribute with videos

Contribute with links

Stories (2)

Burned-down castle resurrected as masterpiece

Magnificent Koldinghus served as a barracks for Spanish auxiliary troops during the Napoleonic…

Cold Spaniards in Kolding

In the winter of 1807-08, Spanish troops were billeted at the Medieval castle of Koldinghus in…

Images (8)

Videos (1)

  • Video