Lynderupgård
Facts

A half-timbered manor house

By

The manor of Lynderupgård is located near Skals in Central Jutland. In the Middle Ages, the property belonged to the Bishop of Viborg, and a small section of the west wing, the stone house", dates back to his time. In 1544, the manor was acquired by nobleman…

Show more

Contribute to Lynderupgård

Have you visited / Want to visit? Contribute to this place Add to route
Selected entry

Manor supreme among half-timbered buildings

Time / Periode 1550
0 comments 0 recommendations

Half-timbered construction has existed since ancient times and was practised in Denmark until the 1920s. Although half-timbering is generally associated with farmhouses and townhouses, in the Middle Ages, the majority of Danish manor houses were also entirely or partly half-timbered, and, even as late as the 1700s, the style was commonplace. For centuries, half-timbering was simply the ordinary construction practice for most buildings – churches excepted. Half-timbering in manor houses is not that different from urban equivalents, but is usually distinct for its component of solid oak timber. Among Denmark's preserved half-timbered manors, Lynderupgård is not only the largest, but by all accounts also the oldest, with its almost 500-year-old main wing.

View all stories

Comments to the story (0)

Contribute to Lynderupgård

Contribute with a story about this place?

Contribute with one or more pictures

Contribute with videos

Contribute with links

Stories (1)

Manor supreme among half-timbered buildings

Half-timbered construction has existed since ancient times and was practised in Denmark until the…

Images (2)