[ Asmild Church and convent]

Asmild Church and convent

Asmild Church today is, by all appearances, a simple single-nave parish church, but numerous traces in the masonry suggest that it was once an impressive work of architecture with side aisles and an apse at both the east and west ends. An Augustine convent was annexed to the church a few years after it was built in the first half of the 1100s. The interior was much altered in the 1700s by Hans Lange, a high court judge, and his wife, Charlotte Gyldensparre, who added new décor. The west end of the church thus contains a series of royal portraits (of modest artistic merit), commissioned by the couple in 1703.

Dead king lives, reigns and thrives!

  • Story written by: Peter Pentz
  • Time / Periode 1100 1150

The royal portraits were copied from Regnum Daniæ Icones, which was published in 1646 and contains 102 images of Danish regents from King Dan to the reigning King Christian IV. The book stated when each of the kings had reigned. Since King Christian IV survived the publication of the book by two years, the author was unable to state the end of his reign, and wrote instead viuit regnat valet – meaning lives, reigns and thrives". The painter of the portraits in Asmild Church was no Latin scholar, but copied his source slavishly. When the portraits were painted in 1703, King Christian IV had been dead for decades, yet the words above his portrait gaily assert that he "lives, reigns and thrives". "

Read more about Asmild Church and convent at 1001fortællinger.dk