The Marble Bridge and riding ground are all that survived the devastating fire at Christiansborg Castle in 1794. The stable buildings encircling the riding ground housed the King's horses. The buildings have functioned as royal stables since 1746. In those days, a total of 252 horses lived there. Today, only 20 remain. As well as being a riding ground, the area was also used as a venue for royal palace parties and as a forecourt. This was where the King received his distinguished guests. The Marble Bridge with its two pavilions marks the main entrance to the palace. The pavement is paved with Norwegian marble while the roadway is cobbled. The Palaces and Properties Agency finished restoring the riding ground and Marble Bridge in 1996.
The riding ground is basically as it was when built in the 18th century. The Royal Horseguards still use the complex. They take care of the royal horses, old carriages and coaches. The horses are trained for at least one hour a day and the riding ground is open to anyone who is interested. The horses also ride around in the city on daily trips as training for state visits, weddings and other events. The complex is also used for riding shows and other events. New tenants, some with additional horsepower, have now moved into the stables. The royal car fleet is now parked here, and a theatre museum and carriage museum have moved into the southern stable.