[ Christiansø]

Christiansø

Christiansø is Denmark's most easterly point and consists of two contiguous islands – Christiansø and Frederiksø. King Christian V had the island fortifications built in 1684 following political reconfigurations in the western section of the Baltic Sea in the second half of the 17th century. The loss of Scania, Halland and Blekinge to Sweden meant that Denmark now needed an advanced naval base. The Christiansø fortifications and the extension of Holmen in Copenhagen in 1690 countered the Swedes' construction of the Karlskrona naval base in East Blekinge in 1678. Although the fortifications were dismantled in 1856, Christiansø still belongs to the Danish Ministry of Defence.

Died of fright

  • Story written by: Jakob Seerup
  • Time / Periode 1684

On 23 October 1808, British bombs rained down on Christiansø. A British fleet was intent on disabling the fortifications as a base for Danish vessels. but the Danish ships intercepted British supply ships and sabotaged the British effort in the Baltic Sea. The fortifications answered fire as well as they could, but the firing range of the old cannons fell short of the British fleet. The only mortar that could reach the British exploded when it fired its second round. Miraculously, the only fatalities were an elderly lady, who died of fright, along with six captured Swedish sailors who were playing cards. The remains of the bodies were deposited in three coffins. Fortunately, the British did not come ashore, and the Christiansø fortifications continued to function as a base for shipping until the war ended in 1814.

Read more about Christiansø at 1001fortællinger.dk