[ Haraldsted Chapel]

Haraldsted Chapel

Duke Knud Lavard was murdered on 7 January 1131 by his cousin Magnus. Legend has it that a spring bubbled up at the murder scene, and Haraldsted Chapel was built in about 1150 to commemorate the murder. Twenty years later, Knud Lavard was canonised. The chapel was a famous destination for pilgrims hoping to benefit from the spring's healing powers, and Knud Lavard was a very popular saint. He was chosen by many merchant's guilds as their patron saint. The chapel ruins are five kilometres north of Ringsted, and were revealed during an archaeological excavation in 1883. The building was built of travertine and is 28.5 metres long.

Holy springs and sprightly pilgrims

  • Story written by: Vivian Etting
  • Time / Periode 1150

Pilgrimages were common in the Middle Ages, and the spring in Haraldsted was far from the only holy spring in Denmark. Kippinge on Falster has a medieval spring called St. Søren's Spring and pilgrims flocked there to try the water. The west chapel of the church was full of crutches and stretchers left by the grateful pilgrims as reminders. Throughout the Middle Ages, the pilgrim tradition flourished and even average Danes travelled to Rome and Santiago de Compostela in North Spain, etc. to visit the graves of St Peter and St James. They brought back various pilgrim tokens that were later placed in their graves - like tickets to heaven.

Read more about Haraldsted Chapel at 1001fortællinger.dk