The Munkegård scool was designed by architect Arne Jacobsen in 1948, and opened in 1957. Its structure is simple and logical. It has three broad one-storey wings with classrooms, and a fourth two-storey building with special subject rooms. They are connected by five transverse glass walkways. In between are inviting little courtyards designed by the architect featuring various kinds of plants and coverings. The assembly hall, staff room and administration offices are grouped on two storeys around the entrance. The low school, though built for 1,000 pupils, appears welcoming and clearly defined.
From the end of the 1940s and into the 1950s, focus was on building new schools for the baby boomers of the war years. Architects developed solutions to embrace the new theories of education in the post-war era – including children's needs for light and physical development. The Munkegård school's architecture was designed as a structural setting to be flexibly adapted for various functions. The low horizontal school with its pitched roof and down-to-earth design resembled a factory. Its sawtooth roof optimised the light in the spacious classrooms. The architect designed all the interior decoration, from furniture to lighting, making the Munkegård school a prime example of a Gesamtkunstwerk". The Munkegård school greatly influenced other school buildings and also made an impact outside Denmark in the international debate. "