Hald Manor near Hald Lake south of Viborg belonged to a powerful squire, Niels Bugge, in the 14th century. It later belonged to the bishop of Viborg. Then came the Reformation and Hald became crown lands. In 1664, it passed to private owners once again. In 1948, it became state property - along with its three mediaeval embankments on the site. There is no trace of the fourth Hald Manor from the 18th century, which was located in the current park. But the fifth Hald Manor was built in 1787 and still stands today - a one-storey wing with a tower-like centrepiece. The Manor is now a refuge for authors.
The Middle Ages were turbulent times and anyone in a position of power built castles for protection. Sadly, almost all Denmark's mediaeval castles are now gone. Only the man-made embankments or ramparts are left. Hald has three. Brattingsborg east of the present Hald Manor is probably the oldest. In the mid-14th century, Niels Bugge, a real mover and shaker, took up residence on the small island in the lake that is now a peninsula. He had Gammelhald built on a high rampart protected by both the water and steep banks of the lake. By the time Bishop Jørgen Friis built the third Hald in 1520 on a promontory jutting into the lake, cannons had become a threat. The castle buildings are therefore built low down behind high embankments thick enough to stop cannon balls.