[ Gjorslev]

Gjorslev

Back in the 13th century, Gjorslev Manor near Stevns Klint is thought to have belonged to Rane Jonson, assassin of the king. From the 14th century until the reformation, Gjorslev was owned by the Bishop of Roskilde. In 1540, it became a private estate. From 1678 until 1743, it was used to house the king's cavalry. But since 1743, it has been privately owned, from 1925 by the Tesdorpf family. The main building, shaped like a cross, was built by Bishop Peder Lodehat in about 1400, with a north wing from 1638 and a south wing from 1843. The driveway is flanked by two long half-timbered buildings that date back to its cavalry days.

Bishops built castles, naturally

  • Story written by: Carsten Porskrog Rasmussen
  • Time / Periode 1400

In the Middle Ages, the Bishop of Roskilde was Denmark's largest landowner besides the king, and bishops had castles just like other important men. In 1396, Queen Margrete actually forbade the construction of private castles, but that did not stop her close employee Peder Lodehat from building a castle at Gjorslev. His castle looked nothing like other castles, though. Appropriately enough for a man of the church, it is shaped like a cross with four two-storey wings with a 26-metre tower at the centre. Gjorslev has gun slits for defence but was first and foremost a luxury home. It also has halls with vaulted ceilings supported by columns. Gjorslev was one of Denmark's most impressive homes. It is now the best preserved inhabited mediaeval castle in Denmark.

Read more about Gjorslev at 1001fortællinger.dk