[ Assens, Korsgade 11]

Assens, Korsgade 11

No. 11 on Korsgade, a half-timbered house on two storeys, probably dates from the late 1500s. On the street side, the ground floor was converted in the 1800s and was given large windows and a new entrance. Typically of the Renaissance period, each upper floor was jettied over the one below. Each jetty was supported by long braces, which are preserved over the 1st floor only. The ornamentation above each floor partition consists of half-rosettes fanning above each post. The house was restored in 1952-53 by the renowned restoration architect, Hans Henrik Engqvist, and is now in private ownership.

Monarchs stopped in Assens

  • Story written by: Erik Bjerre Fisker
  • Time / Periode 1550 1600

In the Middle Ages, Assens was an important crossing point to South Jutland. Accordingly, many kings stopped in the town during the 1500s. The royal visits were reflected in the architecture, and Renaissance residences of all sizes were built along the main streets and even side streets. The Renaissance house at No. 11 on Korsgade is one such building representing the typical architectural style of Assens. A number of these houses no longer exist. Some may have been lost early on when Assens was looted by Swedish troops in 1658. Others, in keeping with the times, underwent conversion or were razed to make way for new buildings. A few of the old houses have survived, including No. 11 on Korsgade – with only slight remodelling of the facade.

Read more about Assens, Korsgade 11 at 1001fortællinger.dk