[ Gjeddesdal Manor]

Gjeddesdal Manor

In 1676, the only manor in the Greve area was acknowledged as a noble manor farm. Wealthy landowner Holger Vind had spent his time over the years buying up the farms flanking the land he had already acquired for Pårup estate. In 1672, he built a new manor and named it Gjeddesdal after his wife Margrethe Gjedde, daughter of Admiral of the Fleet Ove Gjedde. Greve Hospital, which is now in the open-air museum, was built in 1710 using funds willed by Margrethe. Today Gjeddesdal's main building is in the Dutch renaissance style. It was rebuilt in 1918 after a fire ended the festivities on New Year's Eve the year before.

An innovative family mindset

  • Story written by: Henriette Buus
  • Time / Periode 1822

In 1822, the Valentiner family took over the estate. Heinrich Valentiner became famous for establishing Denmark's first dairy in 1829. His son Adolph Valentiner was the first to marl and drain his land with tile pipes in 1848 and thereby considerably increased his crop. He was also among the first to publish his production accounts, and he helped start Tune Agricultural School. As early as in 1864 he was encouraging the local farmers to join forces and found dairies together. The third generation of the Valetiner family, Heinrich Nicolai Valentiner, came up with Denmark's first water dairy in 1868. The estate still has a small building that belonged to this water dairy. The first milk centrifuge in the world also swung into action at Gjeddesdal Estate - in 1876.

Read more about Gjeddesdal Manor at 1001fortællinger.dk