The small whitewashed cookhouse on the harbour in Assens was built in 1824 to avoid naked flames onboard ships. The hazard was great, since fire was likely to spread from one vessel to the next in the harbour. The cookhouse was made a listed building in 1954. It was moved and reconstructed at its current site in 1971. The lighthouse at the harbour was built in 1854 as part of the expansion of the Danish lighthouse authority. This is Denmark's first lighthouse of cast iron, and is constructed from cast sheets bolted together. The lighthouse, with its modest height of seven metres, bears the cast monogram of King Frederik VII.
In the mid-1800s, the lighthouse authority was expanded with larger lighthouses along the main sea lanes. The 1830s-40s also saw the building of smaller lighthouses at the many new harbours. One individual especially headed this expansion programme. Carl Frederik Grove was one of the nation's first highly qualified engineers to graduate from the polytechnic in Copenhagen. In 1852 he was appointed Inspector for the Lighthouse Authority", a position he held until his death. Grove was responsible for a large number of lighthouse construction projects. From the papers preserved by the National Archives, it emerges that he was interested in using cast iron for lighthouses from an early stage. The lighthouse in Assens was his very first attempt at using the new construction material. In 1869, Grove presented the first survey of the development of the Danish lighthouse authority in his treatise "For Idea and Feasibility". "