[ Glorup]

Glorup

Glorup Manor, south of Nyborg, was built in 1743-44 as a four-winged manor on top of the cellar of the original renaissance manor. The beautiful roof that still adorns the building was also added at this time. Later that century, in the 1770s, Architect G.E. Rosenberg led the team of gardeners who remodelled the garden into one of the first Danish examples of an English country house garden" with winding pathways, springs, temples, large trees and gentle hills. The garden was also equipped with a hermit refuge, complete with a figure that moved when you trod on a board near the door. "

Silver wedding anniversary garden party in 1853

  • Story written by: Britta Andersen
  • Time / Periode 1740

On 20 June, 1853, the garden at Glorup was the setting for a magnificent silver wedding anniversary party held for the owner at that time, Count Adam Gottlob Moltke-Huitfeldt. On the same day, the Count's youngest son was confirmed in the nearby church, which was restored especially for the occasion. After the church service, the celebrations continued in the manor grounds, where between 1,000 and 1,500 guests took part. Everyone was welcomed with a volley of cannon fire. Tents were set up in the garden and an island was decorated with the Count and his wife's monogram in flowers. A commando unit played at the party, where the Count and Countess opened the ball by dancing with a farmer's wife and farmer, respectively.

Read more about Glorup at 1001fortællinger.dk