[ Christiansfeld ]

Christiansfeld

" Christiansfeld was built between 1773 and 1812 by Bohemian Brethren from the Netherlands as an identical copy of the Church's township in Germany. The buildings stand preserved today as when the town was founded on the orders of King Christian VII. The church building of the Bohemian Brethren is Denmark's largest church interior without supporting pillars. According to its strict Protestant doctrine, the interior is entirely white, with no altar, font, pulpit or images. In the cemetery, the dead are laid to rest in the same way as the congregation sits in church: the sisters on the right; the brethren on the left. All the tombstones are identical, and numbers on the stones indicate the order in which deaths occurred. "

Gingerbread town

  • Story written by: Inger Hartby
  • Time / Periode 1773

" Most Danes associate Christiansfeld with the traditional honningkager, a soft Danish honeyed gingerbread, resembling German Lebkuchen. Today, the town has two gingerbread bakeries and a factory. The first bakery started on a small scale, but was acquired in 1799 by a former wigmaker, one Immanuel Thomas Actnich, who turned his hand to baking when periwigs went out of fashion. His gingerbread, baked to his wife's delicious recipe, became famous and Christiansfeld became synonymous with honningkager. Morality prevailed in Christiansfeld. The brethren would have no dallying; marriages were arranged by the family. If an agreement was reached on marriage, the couple were taken along to the pastor who announced the engagement. The pastor took a gingerbread heart, broke it in two, and the couple ate half each during the pastor's blessing. "

Read more about Christiansfeld at 1001fortællinger.dk