" Warehouses rarely merit much attention, but the Plum timberyard is hard to overlook. This yellow-painted wooden building is 56 metres long, 24 meters wide and five storeys high. The roof covers an area of around 1,300 square metres; more than the average house and garden. Built in 1915, the timberyard was designed to allow wooden boards, mouldings and lumber to be passed in and out of the green-painted hatches at the sides of the building. The surrounding buildings contained a sawmill, an egg-packing plant, stables and a grain store. Combined with the main house facing Østergade, the timberyard was the base for the Plum brothers' flourishing trade. "
" The brothers Frederik and Niels Plum set themselves up as merchants in Assens in the 1860s, and two decades later were running the leading firm in the town. The railway line to Tommerup brought a profitable trade with West Funen farmers. Plum's sold animal feed, field seeds, fertiliser, timber, fuel and groceries. And they bought butter, eggs and grain. In 1905, with the death of the two brothers, their sons took over the business. As an addition to the timberyard, they built a silo store and feed store at the harbour in Assens. Trade from the timberyard and general store on Østergade continued until the 1980s when the firm switched to the manufacture of hand soap; initially at the old address and since 2004 on the outskirts of the town. "