[ Østerport Station]

Østerport Station

The Coast Line from Copenhagen to Elsinore opened when the stretch of track from Klampenborg to Snekkersten was laid. The line to Elsinore from 1864 went via Hillerød. From Copenhagen Central Station the line went around the city to Hellerup. In 1897, Østerbro Station (Østerport) was built with a track to Hellerup. The Coast Line then became the Østerport-Helsingør stretch of the track. Østerport Station was designed by DSB's chief architect H. Wenck in the style of national romanticism. When built, it was a sack station" meaning that all the trains drove in and out of the same end. "

Temporary station becomes permanent

  • Story written by: Poul Thestrup
  • Time / Periode 1897

From the word go, no one was sure if the station would stay put. It was therefore built as a half-timbered building so it could easily be moved. A plan had been proposed to build a Boulevarde Line" – an underground line running under Copenhagen from a new Central Station. But people had been discussing the idea for years with no light at the end of the tunnel. The Boulevarde Line, linking Copenhagen Central Station via Vesterport and Nørreport Stations to Østerport through brickwork arches supporting the station, didn't open until 1917. This meant Østerport was no longer the southernmost end station on the Coast Line. No one has proposed moving the temporary station since. "

Read more about Østerport Station at 1001fortællinger.dk