When King Frederik V founded the Royal Orphanage in 1753, it was intended as a school for poor boys. Through schooling and subsequent vocational training, they had the chance to become useful members of society. As the Institution was for 200 boys, a large building was needed. Architect Conradi therefore built a baroque building in 1754-55 that still exists today in Ovengaden oven Vandet, now the Naval Museum. The orphanage relocated in 1775 to the heart of Copenhagen, Store Kongensgade 108, and in 1880 moved to Randersgade 10, now Heiberg School. In 1953, its journey ended at Hellebækgård, which was a boarding school until 2004.
The orphanage made ends meet thanks to regular support from outside. So from the very start, various funding sources were made available. One of them was the state lottery. It was set up in the 1770s and still exists as a form of national Lottery. To symbolise the link, the orphan boys, called scabs", were allowed to enjoy the spotlight while drawing the winning numbers at regular special draws. These events were public, staged on a platform set up in one of Copenhagen's squares. But the curtain closed on these public events in the mid-19th century. The scabs continued to take part right up until 2000, though, when electronic draws were introduced. "