[ Tinghøj high-level reservoir]

Tinghøj high-level reservoir

A high-level reservoir is used to equal out fluctuations in water consumption. The high-level reservoir at Tinghøj was designed and built in 1933, 1940 and 1959 based on designs by Ib Lunding. It covers 10 hectares. A wide road leads from the entrance down through the middle of the area to a valve building at the end shaped like a bishop's hat. The road is flanked by grassy hills containing 10 water reservoirs, each with a fine concrete, copper and steel tower. The hall building, the manager's house and a small red-painted tool shed are near the entrance. The whole area was listed in 2000.

Architect designs everything from jewellery to trams

  • Story written by: Kathrine G. Bjerregaard
  • Time / Periode 1931 1935

The Danish functionalist architect Ib Lunding (1895-1983) was educated at The School of Architecture at the Royal Danish Academy of Fine Arts in 1925. He made his mark on buildings both in Copenhagen and elsewhere. Shortly after graduating, he was employed at the City Architect's Directorate" at the City of Copenhagen, where he stayed for 40 years until 1965. Ib Lunding was very versatile. During the same period, he also designed jewellery for Jeweller by Royal Appointment Michelsen as well as a range of furniture and posters and had several books published. In the late 1920s, he also designed the popular trams called "Bogie Wagons". He had a great flair for combining beautiful shapes with functionality. Ib Lundings water tower at Bellahøj and the collection of high-level reservoirs at Tinghøj can almost be classed as sculptures. "

Read more about Tinghøj high-level reservoir at 1001fortællinger.dk