[ Bakkehuset, Frederiksberg]

Bakkehuset, Frederiksberg

Bakkehuset's history began in 1620 when King Christian IV had a half-timbered house built on the outskirts of his new farm. The house burnt down during the wars against Sweden but was rebuilt and extended. Its location by Valby Hill was the perfect spot for a coaching inn and lodging house. Professor of Aesthetics Knud Lyne Rahbek was a regular boarder from 1787, and in 1802 he and his wife, Kamma, took over the property. All the leading lights of the Danish Golden Age met here, including Oehlenschläger, Grundtvig and H.C. Ørsted. After several changes of identity, including a spell as a mental asylum in 1855-60, Bakkehuset became a museum in 1925. A guesthouse was also made for important cultural celebrities.

A woman's touch

  • Story written by: Martin Zerlang
  • Time / Periode 1620

The cradle of the Danish Golden Age stood in Bakkehuset, but gold or not, the road that led there was often pure mud. The land around Bakkehuset was a bit of a jungle too but Adam Oehlenschläger's daughter, Marie Konow, noted that Kamma Rahbek had a garden planted according to modern designs" where she was the first to introduce "lovely velvety lawns". With her garden, her boxes, her nature and playful wit, the childless Kamma Rahbek created the best conceivable setting for the leading lights of the Golden Age. Later, in the 1850s, Bakkehuset became an "idiot institution" and H.C. Andersen wrote in "A String of Pearls": "The weakest minds are assembled now here, where once the strongest and keenest met... "

Read more about Bakkehuset, Frederiksberg at 1001fortællinger.dk