[ Thorup Strand]

Thorup Strand

In the early 1700s, tramp shipping companies moved in to Thorup Beach, where the first warehouses were built around 1715 for storing agricultural products such as grain. The goods were shipped to Norway on vessels known as 'sand boats', which could be hauled directly onto the shore. In 1742, seven sand boats were registered at Thorup Strand, but during the 1800s, the shipping trade lost momentum. Instead, fishing took over, but to this day, the fishing boats are still hauled directly up on the beach. Thorup Strand is one of Europe's largest coastal landing places, with up to 20 fishing boats.

Cannon fire at the water's edge

  • Story written by: Svend Sørensen
  • Time / Periode 1715 2009

" On 30 April 1809, Thorup Beach was bombarded non-stop for four hours by an English 40-cannon frigate. Five cannon balls went through a house; two through the roof of a grain store and one through the stern of a Norwegian vessel. A full seven Norwegian vessels were at the roadstead. Denmark had been at war with the English since their bombardment of Copenhagen in September 1807 and the frigate's cannon fire was to prevent the grain transports to Norway. To protect the grain trade, an entrenchment was built with two small canons and a military unit of 21 men. A voluntary coastal militia was also summoned. When the frigate launched rowing boats, they were knocked back by the some 50 riflemen. Two Danes were injured. "

Read more about Thorup Strand at 1001fortællinger.dk