Tamdrup Church was built in about 1125 and now stands all alone on a hill. But excavations show that buildings once stood to both the north and north-west of the church in the Viking Age and early Middle Ages. The building probably comprised a rich man's estate. The estate owner may even have decided to build the church, which is a three-naved Romanesque basilica. The church is very unusual, both in terms of size and architecture. The National Museum has 29 relief plates of gilded copper that come from the church. The rare plates probably stood on the reliquary or altar, which no longer exists.
The 29 relief plates from Tamdrup Church were produced in about 1200 and are now at the National Museum. The plates tell the story of Denmark's conversion to Christianity and feature King Harald Bluetooth. Centuries of influence had failed. Yet a monk called Poppo converted the king in a matter of minutes by carrying red-hot iron. This is a classic mission story. The relief shows Poppo carrying the red-hot iron in the form of a gauntlet. The gauntlet is a later addition to the original story about the red—hot iron from almost the same time. The same tale also reveals that in fact the Danes already believed in Christ but perceived him as a weak god among gods that were stronger and mightier. Copies of the original gilded plates decorate the front of the church altar.