The small, brick-built Ledøje Church is one of Denmark's most curious medieval buildings. The church dates from the early 13th century and is thought to have been built as a chapel on an estate which disappeared early on. The architecture is unusual because the church has two storeys. The upper storey – perhaps for the lord of the manor – offers a view over the lower storey. This style of architecture is known from Bohemia, a historic area of the modern Czech Republic, where such churches were built as castle chapels. A number of the structural components of Ledøje Church were imported from the Netherlands. In this way, the church is also a monument to an era when Denmark had become part of Europe.
Medieval church bells were often decorated with religious inscriptions, but the text on one of the bells at Ledøje appears to make no sense: xxxx nnnvnnnnn mmmmmmmmnm pppppp rrr ss gggg aaaa. The hallmark shows that the bell was made by Oluf Kegge, a bellfounder from the late Middle Ages, whose work is seen in numerous churches. No one knows if the inscription is a kind of cryptogram or if Kegge simply couldn't lay his hands on a suitable text to transcribe. The church tower from circa 1500 is a later addition to the double chapel.