Grønlandske Handels Pakhus
Facts

Whale oil in the lamp posts

By

Royal Greenland Trading's warehouse was built in 1766-67 as an impressive 23-bay building by Master Builder J.C. Conradi. It was initially called the Icelandic Warehouse, but was later renamed the Greenland Warehouse. Up until about 1800, it stood as a lone giant …

Show more

Contribute to Royal Greenland Trading's Warehouse, Standgade 100, Krøyers Plads, Strandgade 100, Krøyers Plads

Have you visited / Want to visit? Contribute to this place Add to route
Selected entry

Oil for the oil lamps

Time / Periode 1750 1950
0 comments 0 recommendations

Greenland became a Danish colony in the 18th century. The General Trading Company was in charge of trade on Greenland from 1750, and in 1763 was also awarded the trade on Iceland, the Faroe Islands and Finland. In 1776, the Danish state took over the reins and gave Royal Greenland Trading a monopoly on all trade in Greenland. The monopoly lasted until 1950. The Denmark's interest in Greenland was primarily of a financial nature. Oil made from whale fat was in heavy demand, as it was used as fuel for street lamps and for lubricating the machinery at the cloth factories. Finally, whaling failed and Royal Greenland Trading chose to put its money on the hunting culture in Greenland, which produced blubber and pelts.

View all stories

Comments to the story (0)

Contribute to Royal Greenland Trading's…

Contribute with a story about this place?

Contribute with one or more pictures

Contribute with videos

Contribute with links

Stories (1)

Oil for the oil lamps

Greenland became a Danish colony in the 18th century. The General Trading Company was in charge of …

Images (2)