Whale oil in the lamp posts
Royal Greenland Trading's warehouse was built in 1766-67 as an impressive 23-bay building by Master Builder J.C. Conradi. It was initially called the Icelandic Warehouse, but was later renamed the Greenland Warehouse. Up until about 1800, it stood as a lone giant …
Oil for the oil lamps
Greenland became a Danish colony in the 18th century. The General Trading Company was in charge of trade on Greenland from 1750, and in 1763 was also awarded the trade on Iceland, the Faroe Islands and Finland. In 1776, the Danish state took over the reins and gave Royal Greenland Trading a monopoly on all trade in Greenland. The monopoly lasted until 1950. The Denmark's interest in Greenland was primarily of a financial nature. Oil made from whale fat was in heavy demand, as it was used as fuel for street lamps and for lubricating the machinery at the cloth factories. Finally, whaling failed and Royal Greenland Trading chose to put its money on the hunting culture in Greenland, which produced blubber and pelts.
Contribute to Royal Greenland Trading's…
Contribute with a story about this place?
Contribute with one or more pictures
Contribute with videos
Contribute with links