From redoubt to naval academy
Slipshavn is on the leeward side of the Knudshoved point near Nyborg. It began as just a small, natural harbour until in 1656 a redoubt rising four metres above the water was built there. It was to protect Danish men-of-war when they were in port. Starting in the…
The ramparts that were never built
The original plans for Slipshavn called for the construction of a much larger fortification than the redoubt that was built. A military engineer by the name of Hoffmann had drawn up plans to build a much more expansive system of ramparts that included defensive installations and network of roads laid out in a grid. The plans were never carried out. Neither did the harbour come into play during the 1657 invasion of Nyborg by the Swedes. Slipshavn contains other remnants of the past, though. Among them are the remains of a railway, built in 1883. Trains travelled along the line to Slipshavn when ice prevented ships from sailing into Nyborg Harbour.
Contribute to Slipshavn
Contribute with a story about this place?
Contribute with one or more pictures
Contribute with videos
Contribute with links