3,294 coins and a lost town
Tårnborg near Korsør is the remains of a royal medieval castle. The castle consisted of a central tower of 8 m x 8 m, surrounded by a square outer wall. An excavation in the castle courtyard in 1894 also revealed the remains of three small houses. The castle stood…
In the lee of a castle
Today, the distinguished white-washed church is the only building that testifies to Tårnborg's importance in the Middle Ages. But from new archaeological research, we know that there was also a flourishing trading town at the foot of the castle facing Korsør Cove. Merchants could sail here and trade in peace and quiet. The research in the 1980s revealed the remains of small half-timbered houses, cobbled streets and wells in an area of about 200 m x 300 m. An astounding 3,294 coins primarily from the 13th and 14th centuries were also unearthed, as well as a number of objects such as locks, fittings, jewellery, spindle whorls, keys, pilgrim emblems, cloth seals and a large number of broken fragments of pottery and stoneware.
Contribute to Tårnborg
Contribute with a story about this place?
Contribute with one or more pictures
Contribute with videos
Contribute with links