Rejsegilde på Telefonhuset
Facts

Copenhagen on the line

By

For almost 100 years, Telefonhuset at Nørregade 21 in Copenhagen was the head office for Kjøbenhavns Telefon Aktieselskab (KTAS and later TDC). It finally opened its doors in 1909 after a construction period with long delays caused by the telephone company running…

Show more

Contribute to Telefonhuset, Nørregade

Have you visited / Want to visit? Contribute to this place Add to route
Selected entry

Silent night

Time / Periode 1909
0 comments 2 recommendations

When the church bells began ringing in the New Year 1920, it was the signal for the telephones in Copenhagen to be silent. The switchboards at Telefonhuset, the central nervous system of the Copenhagen telephone network, had been unplugged. Normally hundreds of women telephonists operated the switchboards. But not that night. The telephones were dead. Sabotage? No. The church bells were not the only things striking – the ladies were on strike too. All over Denmark, about 14,000 telephonists were demanding better working conditions. A core demand was the women's right to stay at work after getting married and having children. The strike continued for six weeks until the demands were met. Then the wedding bells started ringing and a kindergarten was soon added to the list of Telefonhuset facilities. The children still arrive every day but the telephone operators have moved. Telefonhuset was sold in 2008, and TDC A/S moved to a new headquarters at Teglholmen in Copenhagen's South Harbour.

View all stories

Comments to the story (0)

Contribute to Telefonhuset, Nørregade

Contribute with a story about this place?

Contribute with one or more pictures

Contribute with videos

Contribute with links

Stories (1)

Silent night

When the church bells began ringing in the New Year 1920, it was the signal for the telephones in…

Images (2)