The Chancellery or The Red Building" was built for King Frederik IV by J.C. Ernst (1716-1721), builder by royal appointment. Near the Chancellery, a state archive was also built that was connected to Copenhagen Castle by a secret passage at first floor height.…
Centralisation of power under absolute monarchy
The Chancellery building is a physical expression of the centralisation of power under absolute monarchy. This meant that the central administration grew significantly after 1660. This, in turn, had a considerable impact – both on Denmark as a whole and on the capital. The Kingdom got standardised weights and measures as well as more detailed laws. Copenhagen's economic and political importance grew along with the number of inhabitants during the period of absolute monarchy. But the growing administration ushered in a whole new class – of officials – who played a central role in reforming the absolute monarchy from the last quarter of the 18th century until the system was replaced in the mid-1800s.
Contribute to The Chancellery
Contribute with a story about this place?
Contribute with one or more pictures
Contribute with videos
Contribute with links