Denmark's first traffic lights
In 1928, the first Danish automatic traffic signal was installed to direct vehicles and pedestrians at Copenhagen's busiest junction formed by the streets of Nørre Farimagsgade and Frederiksborggade. The traffic lights then as now glowed alternately red, amber…
Collisions prohibited by law
In Denmark's oldest Road Traffic Act, dating from 1685, King Christian V introduced parking rules and speed limits in Copenhagen. Collisions were prohibited and fineable by 1 rix-dollar. Any offender who failed to pay up was detained for two days on bread and water in the gaol of the Town Hall vaults. In 1758, driving on the right-hand-side of the road was made law. In around 1780, the speed limit was reduced to 'jog-trot' pace. The Act also had an informants' clause under which citizens were to be rewarded with six rix-dollars for reporting each others' road offences. Besides the fine of two rix-dollars, the hapless offender also had to pay the informant's reward. The chief of police could then add further punishments such as the Spanish mantle, neck irons and gaol. And since it was against the law to appeal the decisions of the chief of police, the country was a pure traffic dictatorship.
Contribute to The junction between Nørre Farimagsgade…
Contribute with a story about this place?
Contribute with one or more pictures
Contribute with videos
Contribute with links