Arsenal and park
Nørrejyllands Tøjhus, the North Jutland Arsenal, is a listed building on Udbyhøjvej in Randers. It was built in 1802 under the reorganisation of the Danish defence system following the Battle of Copenhagen on 2 April 1801. The buildings were designed by the…
Open for two afternoons a week
The park surrounding the North Jutland Arsenal was laid out as Denmark’s first public park. The landscaping was paid for by local citizens in 1802-05. In style, it was a Romantic garden, with a linden avenue, linden arbour, memorial stones and old granite columns, well-defined beds and neat paths. Here the bourgeoisie could take a leisurely Sunday promenade. The public status of the park admitted all citizens to the park on two afternoons a week. But otherwise the park was fenced off, with a locked door on the west side. Visitors had to be members of the private park association and purchase their own private key. They were also required to be clean and decent in their attire.
Contribute to The North Jutland Arsenal
Contribute with a story about this place?
Contribute with one or more pictures
Contribute with videos
Contribute with links