Det kgl. Uldmanufaktur
Facts

From gold to wool

By

The Gold House, originally built in 1677 as a hospital, burned down in 1759. Master Carpenter to the Court G. Voldmeister designed a large solid cloth factory to stand in its place. In 1776, the building was extended to include a drying hall and warehouses. Finally,…

Show more

Contribute to The Royal Woollen Mill

Have you visited / Want to visit? Contribute to this place Add to route
Selected entry

Porridge Castle

Time / Periode 1759 1817
0 comments 0 recommendations

The woollen mill was used as a hospital for the garrison in Copenhagen in 1817-1928. It was originally built in what was once Sankt Annæ Churchyard. Not a good spot for a hospital. Drinking water was drawn up from the hospital's own well while rubbish piled up out the back. The city officials received complaints about the stench, and doctors objected to the open gutters full of liquid and solid waste from the morgue. It was nicknamed Porridge Castle" as the staple diet in the overcrowded wards was porridge and because porridge-like poultices were the doctors' universal remedy for every illness and ailment under the sun. "

View all stories

Comments to the story (0)

Contribute to The Royal Woollen Mill

Contribute with a story about this place?

Contribute with one or more pictures

Contribute with videos

Contribute with links

Stories (1)

Porridge Castle

The woollen mill was used as a hospital for the garrison in Copenhagen in 1817-1928. It was…

Images (2)