38 years for a new synagogue
Denmark's main synagogue at Krystalgade 12 in central Copenhagen was built in 1831-1833 and formally opened on 12 April 1833. The Krystalgade plot of land was bought by members of the Jewish community in 1799 as the site for a new main synagogue. There was once a …
New Chief Rabbi gathers the Jewish community
Since 1684, when two wealthy Jews were granted permission to hold services in their homes – behind closed doors, so as not to offend the neighbours – there have been various synagogues in Copenhagen and the provinces. But 38 years passed after the fire in 1795, before Copenhagen once more had a main synagogue. This was due partly to an internal conflict between those who wanted to reform and those who wanted to preserve the Orthodox line. When Abraham Alexander Wolff was appointed Chief Rabbi in 1828, he managed to gather large parts of the Jewish community, and building work could begin on the new synagogue. Today, Krystalgade's large Orthodox synagogue still encompasses many different viewpoints. Copenhagen also has a smaller, more Orthodox Jewish community and a progressive community.
Contribute to The synagogue in Krystalgade
Contribute with a story about this place?
Contribute with one or more pictures
Contribute with videos
Contribute with links